Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Galatians 6

1 - 10 Fraternal Charity

I like how Paul advices correcting others. He says to "restore him to a spirit of gentleness." Also "Look to yourself, lest you too be tempted." Just because you see someone else sinning, that doesn't mean you are not a sinner. We all are and we are all tempted. He tells us to "bear one another's burdens." We must love another because we are in this together.

11 - 18 Conclusion

He concludes by again stating that it is not necessary to be circumcised. "For neither does circumcision mean anything, nor does uncircumcision, but only a new creation" (11) He says he bears the marks of Jesus (my notes say these are probably scars from being flogged, etc.)

3 comments:

FireBoy said...

Hello again. I need ya'll to restore me when I stop posting...and maybe not gently.
v2 says if we carry each others burdens, we fulfill the law of Christ. I know I could do a good bit better in this department.
I don't know why it's so easy to get tired of "doing good." But we all need to be pushed in the write direction every now and then. We also need to be "courageous" and be the pusher sometimes.

Karlton said...

Consider it done - We're starting 1 Samuel tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Good example Fireboy! We've missed you. It does take self dicipline to commit to something like this; but after a couple of weeks, it's become a new, good habit. Through this, I have OFTEN seen God speak to me through scripture. I had to be reading every day though - opening the Bible and expecting something to jump out at me doesn't work.

Paul says that if someone is caught sinning to approach him gently (tactfully, I think) but be careful that you don't fall into his sin (especially if his sin is your weakness).
3 "If anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

6 Anyone who is helped by teaching should share that with the teacher.
I can tell you, as a teacher, that that is the greatest reward we get.

7-10 "A man reaps what he sows." If we feed our sinful nature, it will grow to our destruction. If we feed our Spirit we will reap eternal life. Don't "become weary in doing good." We will reap a harvest in God's time.