Thursday, November 09, 2006

1 Corinthians 14

1 - 25 Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues

Here Paul recommends speaking in tongues (if this is something one can do). Also, if one speaks in tongues, one must pray to interpret what is said. If you speak in tongues, be sure that your mind is behind it (in church I would rather speak five words with my mind, in order to instruct others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 19). He also says tongues are for unbelievers more than believers.

26 - 40 Orderly Worship

Paul recommends orderly worship, including, a hymn, a lesson, a revalation, a tongue, or an interpretation. More than this specific order, I believe Paul is recommending that there be a plan - otherwise, you're going to have a throng of noise. He summarizes by saying, "So, my friends, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues, but all things should be done decently and in order."

I must admit that I have trouble with this chapter since I don't come from a church that prophesies or speaks in tongues. (But we have gobs of order!)

1 comment:

Karlton said...

I've attended churches where they have spoken in tongues. It's a lot different from what I'm used to.

I agree about the music to. If I want to go to a "show" I'll go to a concert.