Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Psalm 51

A great to Psalm to start with! I know it as THIS SONG.

1 - 2 The psalmist starts by asking for mercy.

3 - 5 When we sin, we go against God's wishes. "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done what is evil in your sight" (4). We were also born sinful - "A sinner when my mother conceived me" (5)

6 - 9 The psalmsist describes a ritual with the hyssop (my notes) that represents a Jewish cleansing ceremony. He asks God to "Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities."

10 - 12. Here's the part I'm familiar with from the song. The psalmist asks God to create a clean heart within him, and not cast him away.

13 - 14 The psalmist offers to teach transgressors God's ways and help sinners to return to him.

15 - 17 We must be penitent (and mean it) "The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise"

It's psalms like this one that makes me wish I really had time to study the Bible. I'm really glad we're going through the Bible, but this is one I'd like to know through and through (a keeper).

No comments: