Wednesday, May 30, 2007

2 Corinthians 2

1 - 17 Pain etc.

Paul says he didn't want to come when there was pain.

Some good advice: "If anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure (not to exaggerate) to all of you. This punishment by the majority is enough for such a person, so that on the contrary you should forgive and encourage him instead, or else the person may be overwhelmed by excessive pain. Therefore, I urge you to reaffirm your love for him." (5 - 8)

Great metaphor: "For we are the aroma of Christ for God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing . . ." (Let's hope it doesn't smell "fishy")

Question of the day. Since it easier to punish those who cause pain or to "forgive and encourage him" what are some strategies to forgive?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1-5 Paul apparently wrote a disturbing letter to the Corinthians earlier. My notes indicate that it could have been 1st Corinthians or a letter that we don't know about. In any case, Paul wants this letter to be more encouraging

5-11 Paul tells them to readmit and welcome one of their members who had received church punishment. Pardon and restoration is just as important as the discipline and punishment.

14-17 Nice poetic imagery.
14 God leads us in a TRIUMPHAL PROCESSION as we do his work and we represent him. That encourages me.
15-16 There are 2 groups that we deal with: those being saved and those perishing. To those being saved our message "smells" of life. To those perishing (refuse to listen) they smell death, not because of us or our message but because of their attitude.
I hope that my witness has the "smell of life" but we really don't have any control over that. We can't know the condition of someone's heart and we don't know how God is or will work in their heart. We can only be and give his message.
17 Paul paul mentions false teachers who only seek profit from God's word, like today's tel-evangilists. People are much more likely to listen if they feel free of financial obligation.

ANSWER: Ask the person what they've learned, say "I forgive you" and "welcome back", ask what we can personally do to help them avoid trouble in the future then DO IT.

FireBoy said...

I was very inspired when I reread v.15. I think I'm going to make it a point to read that verse every morning. I know I'm probably taking it out of context, but every body says we need to let people see Christ through us. People need to percieve Christ in us with every sense. That puts a little more intesity in my walk with Christ.

Forgiveness is very hard sometimes...most times. I have to take time and let things settle usually before forgiveness crosses my mind. JP, we definitely have to DO IT when we ask if there's any way we can help. I think that builds trust and lets the person know they can count on you. After we forgive someone, we must do our best to forget the incident.