Tuesday, August 29, 2006

John 5

John 5

1 - 18 Jesus Heals on the Sabbath

Jesus heals a man by who had been ill for 38 years by telling him to take up his mat and walk. One problem: it's the Sabbath and it is unlawful to carry the mat. When pressed, Jesus replies, "My Father is still working, and I also am working." This parable seems to me to be about the dangers of following the letter or the law rather than the spirit of the law.

19 - 30 The Authority of the Son

Jesus has the power of judgment. 24 "Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life."

31 - 47 Witnesses to Jesus

Jesus offers John and the scriptures as testimony on his behalf. (My notes state that this passage is important because Jewish law did not accept individuals' testimony about themselves).

No comments: