Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Numbers 23 / Psalm 50

Numbers 23

1 - 12 Balaam's First Oracle

Balaam tells Balak to build seven altars and prepare seven bulls and seven rams. Then the Lord speaks through him, saying that cursing Israel is wrong because God has blessed them. Balak's not happy with this because Balaam was under contractual obligation to curse his enemies.

13 - 50 Balaam's Second Oracle

So they try again. Again Israel is touted as God's people. "Look, a people rising up like a lioness, and rousing itself like a lion! It does not lies down until it has eaten the prey and drunk the blood of the slain." (24) I'm glad I'm not Lebanan right now.

Psalm 50

The Acceptable Sacrifice

This is like a lawsuit that states what God wants the sacrifice of praise followed by genuine obedience.

1 - 6 God summons the court.

7 - 15 God explains that he is God and doesn't "need" anything. What is required: "Offer praise as your sacrifice to God; fulfill your vows to the Most High. Then call on me in time of distress; I will rescue you, and you shall honor me." (14 - 15)

16 - 21 God rebukes the hypocritical whoshiper. I never want to hear this: "I accuse you, I lay the charge before you." (21)

22 - 23 A threat and a promise: "Understand this, you who forget God, lest I attack you with no one to rescue. Those who offer praise as a sacrifice honor me; to the obedient I will show salvation of God."

I don't think of sacrifice for God enough.

No comments: