Sunday, January 07, 2007

Psalm 59

Prayer for Deliverence from Enemies

1 - 4 The Psalmist asks for deliverence from bloodthirsty enemies (and denies fault)

5 He tells the Lord to wake up and punish those who act against Israel.

6 - 7; 14 - 15 Each evening the enemies come back and terrorize the psalmist.

8 - 13 But God laughs at them. "My God in his steadfast love will meet me; my God will let me look in triumph on my enemies." He asks God not to kill his enemies so his people won't forget.

16 - 17 The psalmist sings praises to God. "O my strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, ar my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love."

This psalm shows the complex relationship between God and man. I probably wouldn't admonish God to wake up, but sometimes I get very frustrated. Still, it ends with praise for God and it shows the psalmists love for him even in a difficult situation.

No comments: