Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Psalm 63

Comfort and Assurance in God's Presence (My notes say this is a psalm of David when he was in the Wilderness of Judah)

1 - 4 When the Psalmist is separated from God (Good imagery: "my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you"), he longs for the divine life given to him in the temple. "So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name"

5 - 8 The psalmist wants a close relationship with God. "My mouth praises you with joyful lips as I think about you on my bed" (My notes say this might be an allusion to waiting throughout the night in the sanctuary)

9 - 11 He wishes for his enemies to be destroyed and those who believe to continue in their faith. ". . . all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped."

No comments: