Monday, July 23, 2007

Joshua 1

1 - 11 God's Commission to Joshua

Moses has died. The Lord spoke to Joshua, son of Nun, and told him to take the Isrealites into the promised land. He tells them several times to be "strong and courageous." (Verse 9 is particularly comforting to me: I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."). Joshua then passes this message on to the people.

12 - 18 Address to the Transjordanian Tribes

Joshua reminds the Transjordanian Tribes (Those who settled east of the Jordan) that the Lord has commanded this. And they reply that they will do as Joshua commanded and anyone who rebels will be put to death.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see the area described by God which He is giving them: "from the desert to Lebanon and from the Euphrates to the Mediterrian Sea". It's plain from this why they would be fighting over land today. The Euphrates is well within Iraq's borders today.

5 "No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you."
The same is true for us here and now. This sure gives me hope and courage.

"Obey all the law Moses gave you. Do not turn from it. Meditate on it all day and all night. Be careful to do everything written it. If you do, you will be prosperous and successful."

Joshua told all the people to be ready to go into the new land in 3 days. The tribes who have already settled are to go with them and help. When the new land is settled they may return to their homes. They replied,"Whatever you command we will do and wherever you send us we will go."

Karlton said...

Your last line reminds me of a prayer I heard today:
"Lord, I'll go wherever you want me to go; Do whatever you want me to do; Give away whatever you want me to give; say whatever you want me to say."

FireBoy said...

I get a lot of hope out of verse 5, too....I will never leave you nor forsake you.
I pray that I have the faith to "live" verse 16-17.
It's so hard to drop everything you have and do whatever God wants you to do.