Friday, August 08, 2008

Philippians 4

1 - 23 Paul's urges unity within the congregation, joy, prayer, and the Christian outlook on life. Euodia and Syntyche need to reconcile their differences. Paul turns over everything to Christ, and even though he doesn't have earthly goods, he is rich: I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need.
He closes the letter with greetings in the name of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul tells the two ladies who are disagreeing to "agree with each other in the Lord."
This was the theme of our month revival in 05. If we know the Lord's "rule" on an issue through his word then we should agree with it and obey. In relationships we should find unity in God's word.

I know a song which uses vs 4.

GUARDING OUR MINDS
This is the key to protecting ourselves from sin which all starts in our mind.
8 Think only of what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.

Paul's words about feast and famine are good for us in today's society. Most people today aren't willing to be satisfied under any circumstances; they never have enough and never do without. Being content in all circumstances is a huge challenge today. I have experienced this to some degree. I have had "good" jobs where I earned "good" money and I always wasted it. I'd like to think that, now, after being without a "good" job from time to time, that I've learned to be content in the Lord. He is who I live for. I always disappoint myself when I live for me, no satisfaction.
A quote from Mary Poppins - "Enough is as good as a feast."
Let's be satisfied with enough.

Karlton said...

It's difficult to stay satisfied when advertising is constantly informing us that we should not be.

Listen to Mary Poppins!