Monday, September 25, 2006

John 14 Part One (1 - 14)

John 14

1 - 14 Jesus the Way to the Father

"Do not let your hearts be troubled," Jesus begins. [This reminds me that when I was a kid someone (my grandmother?) told me that it was a sin to worry. God will take care of everything.] Jesus goes on the dwelling places being prepared for his followers. Thomas asks how they can know the way if he's going the way. Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one come to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." (6 - 7)

Philip wants to see the Father. Jesus tells him that Philip should believe because he says so, and if not, then because of the works he has performed. "Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these because I am going to the Father." (12) If we follow Christ we will do what he would do. (I guess this takes study and prayer to know just what Jesus would do) My notes say, "Believers are Jesus' successors and Jesus "returns" through their work."

Prayer also works: "I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask (me) for anything, I will do it." (13 - 14)

No comments: