Wednesday, September 27, 2006

John 15

John 15

1 - 17 Jesus the True Vine

This is one of my favorite passages. The Father is like a vinegrower who removes the branches that don't bear fruit. "You have already been cleansed by the word I have spoken to you," he tells the disciples. (3) Whew! Jesus wants his followers to abide in him as he abides in them. He is the vine and they are the branches (those who don't abide are thrown away like branches where they whither - then they're gathered and burned) But here's the hopeful part: Jesus said, "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." (8)

His last commandment is for his followers (whom he now calls his friends) "to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name." (16) Sounds like an evangelical message to me!

18 - 16:4 The World's Hatred

My notes say that this section on persecution is closely related to the conflict between the synagogue authorities and the Christian community.

Jesus predicts that his followers will be persecuted because of following him. He says that whoever hates him hates his father (God). The Holy Spirit will come to testify on his behalf. He says these things to them "to keep them from stumbling" and that those who go after them "have not known the father or me."

1 comment:

Karlton said...

But I like sunshine and cuddly hugs . . .