Tuesday, September 05, 2006

John 6 Part Two (22 - 71)

John 6

22 - 59 The Bread from Heaven

The next day Jesus preaches of bread. Some highlights:
  • Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. (27)
  • Very truly I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven (32)
  • I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty (35)
  • I am the bread of life. Your anscestors ate the manna in the wilderness and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die (48 - 50)
  • Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever (53 - 58)

In that last part Jesus seems to be talking about Communion (the Catholic Eucharist). My notes say he may refer both to the sacrifice of Jesus' body on the cross and the last supper.

60 - 71 The Disciples' Response

Jesus asks the disciples who can accept his difficult teaching. Some turn away. The 12 disciples are still there and Jesus asks if they want to stay. Simon Peter says, "To whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God." (68 - 69) Jesus predicts that one of them "is a devil."

No comments: