Friday, October 20, 2006

1 Corinthians 2

1 - 5 Proclaiming Christ Crucified

Paul focuses on nothing "except Jesus Christ and him crucified" so that their faith might not "rest on human human wisdom but on the power of God."

6 - 16 The True Wisdom of God

Paul shows how the "foolishness" of the gospel is actually the highest wisdom. They are "revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everyting, even the depths of God." (10)

"Those who are unspiritual do not receive the gifts of God's Spirit, for they are foolishness to them, and they are unable to understand them because they are spiritually discerned" (14) In order to understand God's word, one must open oneself to the message - otherwise we'll "think too much" and it will be blocked. (It's like when I watch Superman, I accept that he can fly - if I couldn't accept that "fact" I'd stop watching, and I'd miss the movie!)

No comments: