Monday, October 02, 2006

John 17

John 17

1 - 25 Jesus Prays for His Disciples

In Jesus' last prayer before his crucifixion, (my notes say that it shows how the Savior intercedes for his disciples before his departure), he prays, "I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world . . . and they have kept your word." (6)

He goes on, "Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may bew one, as we are one." (Jesus wants his followers to worship as one).

Jesus prays, "Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world so I have sent them into the world. (17 - 18). Jesus wishes his followers are to carry on his teachings to the world. He expounds on this idea here: "The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one." Jesus looks for a "unity based on God's love" (my notes).

No comments: