Monday, October 16, 2006

John 20

1 - 10 the Empty Tomb

Mary Magdalene comes on Sunday and notices that stone had been removed from the tomb. She ran to Simon Peter and "the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved" who go to the tomb. The cloth that had been Jesus' head is by itself!

11 - 18 Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene

She's crying outside the tomb and Jesus walks up to her.

Jesus: "Woman, why are you weeping?"
Mary: "They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him."
Jesus: "Woman, why are you weeping?'
Mary: "Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him and I will take him away."
Jesus: "Mary!"
Mary: "Rabbouni." (Teacher)
Jesus: "do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

She goes to the disciples and says, "I have seent the Lord."

19 - 24 Jesus Appears to the Disciples

He appears before the disciples and shows him the wounds on his hands and side. He breathes on them and says, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

25 - 29 Jesus and Thomas

Thomas says he won't believe "(u)nless I see the mark of the nails on his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side". A week later, he sees them. Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Belessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."

30 - 31 The Purpose of This Book

This book (which is only part of the signs he did in the presence of his disciples) was written "so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name."

1 comment:

Karlton said...

You're right - she sees the angels & it's the angels who first ask her why she's crying.