Thursday, April 13, 2006

Romans Fourteen

Romans 14

1 - 12 Do Not Judge Another

My notes: "Paul outlines his position regarding the tension between those who scrupulously observe religiously grounded regulations governing dietary matters and special days (the weak) and those who insist on their freedom in Christ to ignore those regulations (the strong)."

We are each accountable to the Lord at our deaths, why do we judge others? (God will judge us)

13 - 23 Do Not Make Another Stumble

My notes: "Paul, while implicitly agreeing with the strong, emphasizes their responsibility for the weak.

Paul is talking about dietary concerns, but isn't he talking about our responsibility to respect what another churchs thinks is a sin, but my church does not? For example, the Seventh Day Adventists don't work on Saturday, but my church doesn' t have a problem with, say, mowing the grass on Saturday. Therefore, it is my responsibility, not to let the Seventh Day Adventist stumble in his faith. I must respect his faith that he believes he will be judged on.

No comments: