Monday, February 13, 2006

Matthew Eleven

Chapter Eleven

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=11&version=31

1 - 6 Messengers from John the Baptist

John is in prison and writes to Jesus, asking, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" Jesus answers by telling his disciples to send word about what he has done.

7 - 19 John the Baptist is Identified as Elijah

Jesus speaks says that John is the "messenger sent ahead of you, who will prepare the way before you."

20 - 24 Woes to Unrepentant Cities

Jesus reproaches cities that did not repent (I wonder if any of these cities are still around).

25 - 30 Jesus as Wisdom's Spokesperson

Q: Why does Jesus compare John the Baptist to Elijah?

1 comment:

Karlton said...

My notes say, "The yoke was a rabbinic metaphor for the difficult but joyous task of obedience to the Torah." Jesus said, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me (take this difficult but joyous task); for I am gentle and humble is heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

It may be difficult to take up the task of being a Christian, but in the end it makes life (and life-after-death) easier.