Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Matthew Sixteen

Matthew 16

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=16&version=31

1 - 4 The Demand for a Sign

The Pharisees and Sadducees demand a sign from Jesus, and he tells them that there will be no sign except for the sign of Jonah.

4 - 12 The Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees

Jesus tells the disciples to beware the Yeast of the P & S. The disciples don't get that he means the teachings until he explains it to them.

13 - 20 Peter's Declaration About Jesus

Peter says "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Jesus says, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heavne, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he tells the disciples (sternly) not to reveal to others that he is the Messiah.

Note: The word "church" is found only here and 18.17 in the gospels.

21 - 23 Jesus Foretells His Death and Resurrection

Peter rebukes Jesus, saying that he mustn't let the crucifixion happen. Jesus: "Get Behind Me Satan! you are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things (I'd hate to be on the receiving end of this, although I probably often deserve it).

24 - 28 The Cross and Self-Denial

Jesus: If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. . .

Question: What is the sign of Jonah?

1 comment:

Karlton said...

I saw a truck for some local business yesterday that was "Sign of Jonah" accounting or some-such. Pretty interesting that we were just reading about it.