Monday, February 27, 2006

Matthew Twenty

Matthew 20

1 - 16 The Laborers in the Vineyard

Another illustration that "the last will be first."

17 - 19 A Third time Jesus Foretells His Death and Resurrection

20 - 28 The Request of the Mother of James and John

She wants them to sit, sone at Jesus' right and the other at Jesus' left. Jesus asks them if they are able "to drink the cup that I am about to drink." They say they are able and Jesus is noncommital: "You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right and left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my father. (My note: James was later martyred - Acts 12.2 and various legends report John's death)

29 - 33 Jesus Heals Two Blind Men

Question: What are various meanings does "the cup I am about to drink"?

No comments: