Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Numbers 11 / Psalm 38

Numbers 11

1 - 15 Complaining in the Desert

The people start grumbling and the Lord hears it and becomes wrathful. The people talk to Moses who is able to calm the Lord. Meanwhile, the "foreign elements" eat all the meat.

16 - 30 The Seventy Elders

The Lord wishes to talk to Moses and seventy elders. There is trouble when there are complaints that Eldad and Medad are prophesying. Moses says, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all my people were prophets! Would that the Lord might bestow his spirit on them all!"

31 - 35 The Quails

God sends quail upon the wind, but "while the meat was still between their teeth," God becomes wrathful again and struck the people with a plague. The "greedy people" are buried there.

Psalm 38

Prayer for Wisdom and Forgiveness (of an Afflicted Sinner)

The psalmist asks for mercy for his sins. The psalmist's sin has caused him physical pain.

"Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, do not be far from me; make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation" (21 - 22).

1 comment:

Karlton said...

Ha! Rotten apples! (quail)