Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Numbers 15 / Psalm 42

Numbers 15

1 - 31 Various Offerings

Here is another list of offerings - burnt offerings, offerings of well-being. My notes say there is irony here - "this generation will not, in fact 'come into the land.'"

32 - 36 Penalty for Violating the Sabbath

A cautionary tale. A man is stoned for gathering sticks on the Sabbath. (The Lord told Moses to do it.) My notes say he was stoned so as not to disturb the sanctity of the camp. (This reminds me of the Pharisees getting mad at Jesus and the disciples for picking wheat on the Sabbath. I can see why they were upset).

37 - 41 Fringes on Garments

The Lord commands the Isrealites to make fringes on the corners of their garments to remind them to remember and follow the commandments. (I saw some orthodox Jews in NYC who still do this).

Psalm 42

Book II (Psalm 42 - 72)

Looking for God's Help in Distress (My notes: An individual prayer for help by one who is cut off from the presence of God and oppressed by enemies).

1 - 8 The psalm starts out with a great image: "As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God." The Psalmist is very discouraged: "My tears have been my food day and night" (3a).

9 - 11 The psalmist feels God has forgotten him and asks why. He ends with a commitment to praise God. "Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God" (11b).

No comments: