Thursday, June 15, 2006

Numbers 8 / Psalm 35

Numbers 8

1 - 4 The Lamps Set Up

Still planning on the move from Sinai. The Lord shows Moses how Aaron should set up the lamps.

5 - 22 Purification of the Levitesdo

This sounds a lot like Baptism to me, especially "the water of remission"(7) the cleanse one's sins.

23 - 26 Age Limits for Levitical Service

A Levite man will work in the meeting tent from age 25. After 50, he will still share responsiblities in the meeting tent, but will no longer do the work.

Psalm 35

Prayer for Help against Unjust Enemies My notes also state this is a "lament for a person betrayed by friends."

1 - 8 The psalmist prays for to overcome evil. Good image: "Make them like chaff before the wind, with the angel of the Lord driving them on" (5).

9 - 10 The psalmist gives thanks in anticipation of victory: "Then I will rejoice in the Lord, exult in God's salvation" (9)

11 - 16 People that the psalmist thought were friends have turned against him: "Yet when I stumbled they gathered with glee, gathered against me like strangers" (15).

17 - 21 The psalmist prays for punishment for his betrayers: " . . . Save me from roaring beasts, my precious life from lions" (17b).

22 - 26 The last part again prays for the enemies' destruction: "Put to shame and confound all who relish my misfortune. Clothe with shame and disgrace those who lord it over me" (26).

My notes: "The psalm may appear vindictive, but one must keep in mind that the psalmist is praying for public redress of a public injustice. There is at this time no belief in an afterlife in which justice will be redressed." (That didn't bother me as much as the feeling that the psalmist seems to be making a deal with God: If you smite my enemies, then I'll praise you.")

1 comment:

Karlton said...

I like how my notes say this is also a public address. He is also reflecting the frustration of the people.