Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Leviticus Sixteen / Psalm Sixteen

Leviticus 16

The Day of Atonement

My notes: "The annual Day of Atonement for the sanctuary and people. (Chapter 16 follows chapter 10 - thus 11 - 15 are an insert listing the specific impurities that will contaminate the sanctuary). The impurities of the sanctuary are eliminated by purification offerings. The iniquities of the people are eliminated by the confession of the high priest over the dispatched goat while the people fast."

Psalm 16

A "mitkam" of David (there are six of these, always with David. The meaning is unknown)

The Lord is the Portion in Life and the Deliverer in Death

1. Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge.
2 - 4 God is good and false gods are worthless and multiply sorrows.
5 - 6 God has given the psalmist his portion and secured his destiny.
8. (good verse) I keep the Lord always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
9 - 11 The psalmist is glad for God will not abandon him to Sheol. 11. You will show me the path to life, abounding in you in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.

1 comment:

Karlton said...

Good summary for Leviticus.